Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Modest Proposal, Jonathan Swift

I’m not sure if Swift wrote this seriously or as a joke, but either way it is pretty cruel. I must note that his writing style is very good and pretty convincing, but if he were still alive I would personally suggest writing on topics more likely to be accepted. The very idea of selling babies to be auctioned of as a delicacy is preposterous. But all that aside, this man appears to be a good writer. He starts off by listing statistics and numbers concerning uncared-for children and such, which is a good way to “set the stage” for a proposal. He then proceeds to offer his proposal, fully expecting it to be widely accepted as a feasible solution. Even if his writing style is interesting and keeps readers hooked, I highly doubt his proposal got anywhere, and I don’t think I would use the word modest to explain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment